Saturday, August 13, 2011

My life as an Intern…Final Chapter

David Simmons
By: David Simmons

As summer comes to an end, so does my wonderful internship with FPRA.

After leaving the Bonita Springs Area Chamber of Commerce, I worked with Margie Byers, from the Lee County Library System and their Annual Reading Festival. Working with Margie and the library was a great and unexpected experience. I say unexpected mainly because every day you learn something new, and I had no idea of the extent of the services that the library offered. I am extremely grateful to have worked with Margie and the wonderful staff. I have learned a lot about the reading festival and 20,000 plus attendees that they were expecting this year. Even though I was only an intern for two weeks, I helped with media contacts, a QR Code reading festival hunt plus, I found my opinions were highly valued. I was also able to join Margie at a presentation for the Fort Myers Kwanis Club, and must say they are extremely nice and very giving.

After completing my internship with the Lee County Library System, I immediately started with Kate and Ken Gooderham, with Gooderham & Associates, Inc. based in Fort Myers. While I was there I was able to help with the Inaugural Galloway Captiva Triathlon working on crisis management planning and social media tactics. This was also a great experience for myself, and the Gooderhams’, because I happened to be their first ever intern. I was able to participate in multiple activities including observing meetings with county officials, meetings with journalists, and even produced and edited my first ever video.

Internships are the best and closest thing to the real job, and sometimes they lead to being offered a paid position. I cannot stress enough how important it is to have an internship. An internship gives you the chance to figure out what you love to do and run with it. I would love to thank the Southwest Florida Chapter of the Florida Public Relations Association, Phyllis Ershowsky, APR, CPRC, Kate Gooderham, APR, CPRC, Pam Nulman, APR, CPRC, Tiffany Esposito, Margie Byers, APR, and everyone else who supported me during this internship. I will be forever grateful.

Sincerely,
David Simmons
FPRA Southwest Florida Chapter Intern
Summer 2011

No comments: