Monday, October 17, 2011

Credentialing Corner: Going for your APR the Practical Way

Advice, recommendations and news you can use from the chapter’s seasoned professionals
By: Samantha Scott, APR

As with most challenging or time consuming things in life, we tend to think there's time to do it later or there will be a better time. When it comes to studying for your APR, that may not be true.

As a business owner, I completely understand having a busy schedule, but if you're thinking about getting your APR, don't let obstacles become excuses. Really evaluate if this is something that you want and could benefit your career (which I guarantee you it will!), then make the plans to do it!

Here are a few tips from my experience:
  1. Plan ahead. In PR, we're used to planning and this should be no exception. Consider annual events, family and work commitments, etc. to determine when the best time will be for you.
  2. Set aside the time - every week. It's important to take this one bite at a time. You can't swallow all the information at once and if you get behind, you'll end up with a stomach ache.
  3. Attend the study sessions. We're fortunate that our chapter hosts study sessions to help you learn the material, prepare for your Readiness Review and ultimately the exam. Use this!
  4. Review your notes and do case studies. While knowing the definitions is important, the name of the game is application. Apply what you're learning to work, to previous projects and do practice case studies.
  5. Don't stress! It's easier said than done, but trust yourself and your abilities. Anyone can become an APR if they study and really apply the lessons to their everyday practices.
I knew going into it that I would learn more about our profession and how to do my job, but I learned so much more. I have a new perspective and know I am serving my clients better. It was worth the commitment and I hope you will take the leap too!

No comments: