Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Tale of a PR Intern

By:  David Simmons

 Life as an Intern: Bonita Springs Area Chamber of Commerce




Talk about the fastest month ever! My life as an intern at the Chamber was a great experience. I learned a lot about how the Chamber works and the events they host around the community. This experience provided me with a different outlook on PR which I loved. Even though I had planned events, I had no idea of the magnitude and diverse range of events the Chamber hosted.

The first major project I assisted with was the “B2B Business Expo.” I assisted Gabbi and Tiffany with all the details of the event. My job was to create a flyer/brochure, which was something that I had never done before. Five hours later, it was done. It was definitely a “high-five” moment, and I felt proud.

During my time as an intern, I was able to meet tons of people at events, meetings, and even the nicest volunteers who worked with the Chamber. Every person involved with the Chamber cares for his or her community and business, which provided me with an extremely positive outlook on businesses in 2011. The economy hasn’t completely bounced back, but it’s great to see the positive attitude among members. I am so grateful for this experience and cannot thank FPRA, and those involved, enough. My time at the Chamber was valuable and will definitely help with my future career goals. Thank you to Tiffany, Gabbi, and the Chamber Team.

The FPRA internship features several different PR experiences, and next I will be heading to the Lee County Library Systems to work with Margie Byers, and several events that they have planned. Stay tuned for the next installment of “My life as an intern.”

No comments: