- Write a fantastic, newsworthy release that is rich with key words targeted to your audience. Keep it short – around 500 words.
- If you can, give your release a unique URL on your website, using key words.
- Write a short summary to go under your headline – just one or two sentences – using as many of your key words as possible.
- Include web page links to other pages on your web site – keep it to a maximum of one link for each 100 words in your release.
- Take advantage of multi-media – add a downloadable photo and/or a short video. This gives journalists all the tools they need to write a story.
Wednesday, February 24, 2010
CPRC Tip: 5 ways to craft a media release that’s worth a million bucks
By Tina Haisman, APR, CPRC
Media releases have gained tremendous strength in recent years as search engine optimization has gained steam. Now, just by writing a news release and posting it online, you can drive visitors to your website – IF you do it right!
I learned a lot by writing and distributing the Million Dollar Coupon media release last year, so I thought I’d share a few tidbits about writing SEO releases with you in this column.